Emails: with Lily Crockford:


I have been in contact with Lily Crockford, who has started her own music management company recently. She has experience working with music artists like Jessie J and other experience working at record labels. I emailed her because I wanted advice on making it into the music industry. These emails helped me realise that you can do anything if you are really passionate about it, which has inspired me even more with my final major project. 


On 17 Jan 2014, at 16:34, Rebecca Hayler <bekihayler@icloud.com> wrote:

Hi Lily,

My name is Beki Hayler, I got your email address off of Olie Babbage, I hope you don't mind?
He tells me you now own your own management company?
I am in my third year at University and would really like to achieve a job in the music industry once I have finished and was just wondering if you could maybe give me some advice on how you have done it?
Did you go to Uni or get work experience at any record labels etc before having your own company?
For my final major project I am creating a music agency that focuses on promoting new musicians, if you could tell me how you started your business that would really help me out.

If you are busy then I completely understand, but if you get a minute then it would be great to hear from you about your experiences.

Thank you.

Beki Hayler


On 20 Jan 2014, at 12:19, Lily Crockford <lilycrockford@icloud.com> wrote:
Hi Beki,

Olie said you would be in touch. Not a problem at all. 

Indeed I do. I started my own company in April 2013. Until that point I had worked in various aspects of the music industry, including 18 months as Jessie J’s day to day manager. 

I did indeed go to Uni. I went to Bath and studied business but managed to focus most of my coursework and final dissertation on the music industry. My dissertation was actually published. I have attached the short version in case it can be of any use to you. I also have the full 25,000 word document which you are welcome to if it will be of any help.

What uni are you at? I am based in London. Happy to meet or jump on a call and go through some things.

Best,
Lily

<JRCS Published Paper.pdf>


On 23 Jan 2014, at 15:08, Rebecca Hayler <bekihayler@icloud.com> wrote:
Hi Lily, 

Thanks for the reply. 
I will have a look at your dissertation. Thank you for that. I am at Brighton university, but I'm studying fashion media and promotion so I'm struggling to focus my projects on the music industry. 
I'm worried that because I haven't done a degree to do with music I may find it difficult to get a job in it?

Beki Hayler

 On 23 Jan 2014, at 16:46, Lily Crockford <lilycrockford@icloud.com> wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

Not at all. I did a degree in business and nothing to do with the music industry just managed to focus my dissertation round it.

The most important thing is to start getting work experience. Brighton is such a great place as it has such a strong music scene. I used to run guest lists at venues and all sorts. Maybe contact some places like Brighton centre and the haunt and see if they have any jobs going etc. it's always good to do that and meet people and learn about how venues work etc.

I spent most of my summers doing the wristbanding at festivals. It's worth trying to get into things like that as it works around your uni schedule plus you get tickets to the festival!

Will have a think of some other ideas but please feel free to keep firing questions/concerns/worries my way!

Best,
Lily

Lily Crockford
+44 (0) 7528888351

 On 24 Jan 2014, at 12:15 pm, Rebecca Hayler <bekihayler@icloud.com> wrote:


Hi Lily, 
I have done some promoting for a Brighton club called Digital before but it didn't fit in with my uni schedule. I will definitely think about doing wrist banding at festivals though as I was going to do it last year. 

If you ever need an extra pair of hands with your company. I would love to come in and help you out too? I interned for 2 months in London around April last year and I learnt so much. 

Where is your managing company based and how does it work etc? 

Thanks for all of the advice it is really helpful to talk to someone that was in a similar situation.

Beki Hayler

On 24 Jan 2014, at 12:21, Lily Crockford <lilycrockford@icloud.com> wrote:
Hi Beki,

Any kind of work experience is valuable. Even if it isn't exactly what you want to do.
I am based by Oxford circus in london. It's just me at the moment but I share an office with my dad who is also a manager. When are your holidays and maybe you could come in for a week or 2 and we could get you helping out with bits and pieces?

Best
Lily

Lily Crockford
Artist Management 

10 Tottenham Mews
London
W1T 4AF

m: +44 (0)7528888351
e: lilycrockford@icloud.com



 Hi Lily,

That would be amazing thanks, my Easter holiday starts from April 7th - April 21st. I will be free any dates between then?

Thank you

Beki Hayler

On 24 Jan 2014, at 12:21, Lily Crockford <lilycrockford@icloud.com> wrote:



Hi Beki,

I will discuss with everyone else in the office and we will try and work something out. Just want to make sure you have plenty to keep you busy!

Best,
Lily

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

My Profile

My name is Beki Hayler and I am a third year University student, studying Fashion Media and Promotion at Northbrook College, Worthing.

Blogroll

About

This blog looks at the development processes of my final major project; a promoting agency that supports new musicians.